It’s That Time of Year Again! – INSPIRE!africa’s Annual Fundraiser
When: Thursday November 19th
Where: Webster Galleries, 812 11 Ave SW, Calgary
Spring 2016 Volunteer Trip to Rwanda
An Update on the SURF Youth Entrepreneurship Training Program
The Youth Entrepreneurship Training Program has been doing very well lately. Through the support of our generous donors, the Program has expanded with more staff and enhanced benefits to youth survivors. Here are several of the successes so far this year:
- Developed and implemented an internship program, one of the only ones withinRwanda; providing youth entrepreneurs with new opportunities and experiences that are helping to strengthen their business skills.
- Providing a more structured business development course for the youth entrepreneurs as well as improving the business centre.
- Successful completion of two business networking club sessions, attended by over 300 youth. The sessions give the participants the opportunity to meet and listen to notable speakers, which included micro-finance providers.
- A new training program for 150 youths in Kigali and Huye. The training has been expanded to include 40 homeless students living in theOne Dollar Hostel. This is especially exciting as these youths are particularly vulnerable and face even greater pressure to find a job after graduation.
Hot off the Presses! “Roadtrip Rwanda” by Will Ferguson
September 29th marks the release date for Will Ferguson’s new book “Roadtrip Rwanda”. You won’t want to miss Mr. Ferguson’s account of his Rwandan experiences which he spoke about at our 2013 fundraiser. “Twenty years after the genocide that left Rwanda in ruins, Calgary’s GillerPrize-winning author Will Ferguson travels deep into the once-mysterious “Land of a Thousand Hills” with his friend and cohort Jean-Claude Munyezamu, a man who escaped Rwanda just months before the killings began.”
Will Ferguson & Jean-Claude Munyezamu at Wordfest Literary Festival
Longtime INSPIRE!africa supporters and past fundraiser speakers, Mr. Ferguson and Mr. Munyezamu will be featured at this year’s annual Wordfest literary festival in Calgary. On October 17, the author and his travel companion will sit down to discuss Mr. Ferguson’s latest novel. For more information on the event and to purchase tickets please visit Wordfest.
Did you know?! A Few Facts about Recovering Rwanda
- 96.5% of children attend primary school free of charge.
- 28% go on to secondary school. Although there is a fee for secondary school, government subsidies are available.
- 75% literacy rate, highest in sub-Saharan Africa.
INSPIRE!africa now accepting online donations at CanadaHelps.org!
Please visit our website or Canada Helps if you wish to donate online. Although we are excited to make donating even easier for you with this online option, mail-in donations (sent to 102, 520 Cedar Crescent SW Calgary AB T3C 2Y8) are still preferred to reduce administrative costs.